Tips for Hosting a Baby Shower Party
So what are the rules and regulations of baby shower etiquette and how do you ensure you throw a party all guests can enjoy – including the Mum-to-Be? Here at Smart Gifts, we’ve provided you with a few tips and tricks on hosting a great party to celebrate and welcome the little one... a baby shower sure to be filled with amazing memories!
1. Who is hosting? In the past, there was a variety of rules and regulations as to who could and couldn’t host the baby shower… but now, expectations are relaxed and it’s simply up to the Mum-to-Be! Whether it’s a family member of a close relative, all that matters is the leading lady and her bump are happy with the choice. It also doesn’t have to be a gendered event – the expectant Dad and male family and friends can come along too!
2. Pre or Post-birth? Depending entirely on their preference, some families may want a shower before the birth, whilst others may wish to have the new-born showered with presents at the event. Make sure you verify with the parents before deciding!
3. Invitations! You may wish to use the traditional service of post or let your guests know by email, or perhaps using the medium of Facebook would be easier in our technological society – whichever way you choose, make sure you plan in advance. Give your guests an adequate amount of time beforehand to ensure they can invest in a thoughtful gift without rushing around!
4. Where? The venue is an important decision in the planning of the baby shower… do you keep it intimate and casual at home or do you rent out somewhere fancy? Either way, make sure the Mum-to-Be is the top of your priorities. Can she access it easy and are there facilities available? And are there plenty of places to take wonderful, memorable photographs?
5. Food! Make sure you invest in lots of tasty treats to keep your guests satisfied, and top of your priority should be selecting a beautiful cake for the new parents to cut as a celebration of their newborn baby! There are plenty of stunning designs available for you to choose from, from cupcake towers to share to sponges revealing the gender of the baby under the icing!
6. Drinks! Although your main guest won’t be able to drink anything alcoholic, you can still have a selection of delicious cocktails to serve your guests. Or you certainly can’t go wrong with cracking open a bottle of fizz to celebrate… Perhaps invest in some tasty mocktails too, so the Mum-to-Be doesn’t feel too left out!
7. Games? After the new parents have opened up all their wonderful presents, you should have some games lined up for everyone to join in with. Whether it’s guessing the baby’s gender or playing card games to educate the Mum-to-Be on motherhood, they’ll keep your guests entertained and create a nice bonding session for all.
8. Making memories… And lastly, a brilliant idea is to get your guests to write their predictions and key pieces of advice for the new parents. After the baby arrives, the new mum and dad can enjoy sifting through wise words from friends and family, to encourage them through this scary but exciting period in their life!